Therapies Found Effective for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Therapy can be an effective treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome, a condition that causes pain, numbness, and tingling in the hands and wrists. Here are some ways therapy can help with carpal tunnel syndrome:
1. Stretching and exercise: Stretching and exercise can help relieve pressure on the median nerve, which is the nerve that runs through the carpal tunnel in the wrist. A physical therapist can develop a customized stretching and exercise program to address the specific needs of the patient.
2. Nerve gliding: Nerve gliding exercises can help improve the movement of the median nerve through the carpal tunnel, which can help relieve pain and improve function.
3. Splinting: Wearing a wrist splint can help reduce pressure on the median nerve and alleviate symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. A physical therapist can recommend a splint that is customized to the patient’s needs.
4. Massage therapy: Massage therapy can help reduce muscle tension and improve circulation in the affected area, which can help relieve pain and promote healing.
5. Ergonomic adjustments: Making ergonomic adjustments to the patient’s workspace can help reduce the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome and alleviate symptoms. A physical therapist can provide recommendations for ergonomic adjustments, such as adjusting the height of the desk or using a different type of keyboard.